(image from Hamden Historical Society)
Come to Miller Library during April and check out our large glass display case in front of the main staircase. Mr. Dave Johnson, lifelong Hamden resident and retired Hamden firefighter has put together a display about the Web Shop, a large brick building constructed in 1876 which was razed in 1940 to make way for the Wilbur Cross Parkway. He used historic images from the Hamden Historical Society for his fascinating display.
Mr. Johnson will give a visual presentation titled "Hamden Firefighters: History, Evolution & Events", on Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 7 p.m. in the Senior Center Hall at the Miller Cultural Complex, 2901 Dixwell Ave. in Hamden, CT. Enter at the rear entrance. This lecture is sponsored by the Hamden Historical Society. It is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served.
National Poetry Month. This page includes free access to EBSCO's Poetry & Short Story Reference Center for the month of April 2013.
The page also includes a link to free resources from Gale related to National Poetry Month, and a link to iCONN's own "Other Useful Sites - Poetry" page.
Check out our poetry books display when you visit the library this month.
The Nigerian author Chinua Achebe died on March 21, 2013 at age 82 in Boston. His first novel and
magnum opus, Things Fall Apart (1958), is the most widely read book in modern African literature.
Mr. Achebe was born on November 16, 1930 in Ogidi, Nigeria Protectorate.
Publisher's Weekly recently revealed the Top Ten Bestselling Cookbooks of 2012. You can find them all in our library collection!
3. In the Kitchen with David. By David Venable.
5. Great Food Fast. By Bob Warden.
6. The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. By Deb Perelman.
Which cookbooks do some of our best known cookbook authors favor?
Mollie Katzen's favorite cookbooks are:
1. Honey from a Weed, Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia. By Patience Gray.
3. Mediterranean Grains and Greens. By Paula Wolfert.
Ina Garten's favorite cookbooks are:
1. Summer on a Plate. By Anna Pump.
2. Nantucket Open House Cookbook. By Sarah Leah Chase.
3. Cold Weather Cooking. By Sarah Leah Chase.
4. Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook. By Kathleen King.
5. Baking for Friends. By Kathleen King.
6. Plenty. By Yotam Ottolenghi.
7. Jerusalem. By Yotam Ottolenghi.
To locate books outside of our collection, go to the statewide catalog. You can request books via interlibrary loan
and the statewide catalog (iconn.org), if you are a Hamden resident.