National Poetry Month. This page includes free access to EBSCO's Poetry & Short Story Reference Center for the month of April 2013.
The page also includes a link to free resources from Gale related to National Poetry Month, and a link to iCONN's own "Other Useful Sites - Poetry" page.
Check out our poetry books display when you visit the library this month.
The Nigerian author Chinua Achebe died on March 21, 2013 at age 82 in Boston. His first novel and
magnum opus, Things Fall Apart (1958), is the most widely read book in modern African literature.
Publisher's Weekly recently revealed the Top Ten Bestselling Cookbooks of 2012. You can find them all in our library collection!
3. In the Kitchen with David. By David Venable.
5. Great Food Fast. By Bob Warden.
6. The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. By Deb Perelman.
Which cookbooks do some of our best known cookbook authors favor?
Mollie Katzen's favorite cookbooks are:
1. Honey from a Weed, Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia. By Patience Gray.
3. Mediterranean Grains and Greens. By Paula Wolfert.
Ina Garten's favorite cookbooks are:
1. Summer on a Plate. By Anna Pump.
2. Nantucket Open House Cookbook. By Sarah Leah Chase.
3. Cold Weather Cooking. By Sarah Leah Chase.
4. Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook. By Kathleen King.
5. Baking for Friends. By Kathleen King.
6. Plenty. By Yotam Ottolenghi.
7. Jerusalem. By Yotam Ottolenghi.
To locate books outside of our collection, go to the statewide catalog. You can request books via interlibrary loan
and the statewide catalog (iconn.org), if you are a Hamden resident.
VITA Volunteers from Quinnipiac University Law School will offer free tax preparation assistance to low and middle income Hamden residents at the Miller Memorial Library on Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. on the following dates:
2/16, 2/23, 3/2, 3/9, 3/23, 3/30, 4/6, and 4/13. No service will be available on 3/16 due to spring break vacation.
Appointments are not necessary. People will be helped on a first come, first served basis. In order for the volunteers to assist you, you must bring with you the following items:
- Social Security cards for you, dependents and/or spouse
- Photo identification for yourself and your spouse
- All forms, W-2’s, and 1099’s
- Information for other income
- Information for all deductions/credits
- A copy of last year’s tax return (if you have it)
- Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (if you want it)
Volunteers will complete only simple 1040’s and will NOT be able to help those with investment incomes, military income or foreign incomes. Please bring all supporting documentation, otherwise the volunteers will not be able to assist you.