Install and Authorize Software
1. Install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer at
www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions. You can also find a link for this download on the Hamden Library’s Digital Media page
2. Open Adobe Digital Editions. The Setup Assistant dialog box is displayed. Click “Continue” The Activation screen is displayed.
4. Under “Authorize Computer”, enter the email address and password for your Adobe ID.
If you do not have an Adobe ID, click “get an Adobe ID online”.
• Follow the instructions to sign up for an Adobe ID.
• Return to the Activation screen.
• Enter the email address and password for your Adobe account.
5. Click “Activate”, and the click “Finish” to close the Setup Assistant dialog box.
2. Search or browse for a title. Click “Borrow" to select your title. You may place a hold if the eBook is already checked out to another patron.
3. You will automatically be directed to your book bag when you select a title. From there, you may proceed to checkout, or continue browsing. You may take out up to 3 ebooks at a time. Be sure to choose the Adobe EPUB eBook format if you are using an eReader other than a Kindle.
4. Begin the checkout process by entering your library barcode number. You will then be asked to confirm your checkout. The default loan period is 14 days, buy you may select a 7,14, or 21 day loan period at this time. There are no renewals on eBooks, so keep that in mind when selecting a loan period.
5. Download the title.
1. When you download your title, Adobe Digital Editions opens automatically. Click the "Library" button at the top of the page.
2. Connect the eBook reader to your computer, and follow the prompts to authorize your computer. Use the same Adobe ID as entered in Step 2.
3. Right click the eBook cover. Select "Copy to Computer/Device," then select your device. The ebook should then be transferred to your device.
4. When the transfer is complete, disconnect the eBook reader and enjoy!
Titles automatically expire at the end of the selected loan period, so there is no need to worry about late fees. However, you may choose to return a title before it expires. To do so, you will need go to Adobe Digital Editions and click "Borrowed." Right click on the eBook you want to return and select "Return Borrowed Item."
If you have not downloaded the eBook to your computer or eReader, you may return the eBook by logging into your account on the Hamden Overdrive Digital Library web site and clicking the "Account" icon. You will see your checked out items on your bookshelf, and titles that have not been downloaded will display a "Return Title" that you can click to return your eBook to the library.