Hamden residents who are wondering what all the excitement concerning eReaders is about will now have a chance to try one out for themselves thanks to the Friends of the Hamden Public Library. Based on the popularity of its downloadable eBook program, Miller Memorial Central Library now has 3 eReaders (2 Barnes & Noble Nooks, 1 Amazon Kindle, and 1 Sony Reader) available to Hamden residents. The readers may be borrowed from the library for two weeks and will come with a selection of books preloaded on them. This service is designed to give users an opportunity to browse and read texts in electronic formats and allow them to evaluate the experience for themselves. eReaders will be available for checkout at the Reference Desk.
eReader Circulation Policy
- Circulate for 2 weeks, no renewals (reserves are allowed)
- Late fee is $ 5.00 per day
- Loaned to Hamden residents 18 years or older only
- Must be returned to the Miller Library Info Desk (not the bookdrop)
- Borrowers must complete and sign Borrowing Agreement
- Limit of one eReader per family
- Devices are preloaded, and patrons will not be allowed to purchase or download additional content (including ebooks from OverDrive)
If the eReader is lost or damaged, you will be responsible for the entire replacement cost of the eReader, charger, and case as well as a packaging and processing fee ($25).
Nook 1st Edition - $155 ($105 ereader + $35 cover + $25 USB & charger+$25 processing fee)
Nook Color - $285 ($200 ereader + $35 cover + $25 USB & charger+$25 processing fee)
Sony Reader Pocket Edition - $215 ($130 ereader + $35 cover + $25 USB & charger+$25 processing fee)
Kindle Touch - $185 ( $100 ereader + $35 cover + $25 USB & charger+$25 processing fee)
*Prices are based on original purchase price. Due to fluctuations in prices, fees may be revaluated to determine actual replacement costs.
Sony Reader Pocket Edition