Check out our display of new cookbooks with a vegan theme during Vegan Awareness Month.
The United States Department of Agriculture has put together several information and fact sheets
with helpful tips for vegetarian diets. World Vegan Day is celebrated on November 1 because on
that day in 1944 the world's first Vegan Society was founded. Founder Donald Watson (1910-2005) chose the word
"vegan" to describe the diet of his 'non-dairy vegetarians'.
Explore our vegetarian cookbook collection here. To receive information about new cookbooks, subscribe to
Publisher's Weekly recently revealed the Top Ten Bestselling Cookbooks of 2012. You can find them all in our library collection!
3. In the Kitchen with David. By David Venable.
5. Great Food Fast. By Bob Warden.
6. The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. By Deb Perelman.
Which cookbooks do some of our best known cookbook authors favor?
Mollie Katzen's favorite cookbooks are:
1. Honey from a Weed, Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia. By Patience Gray.
3. Mediterranean Grains and Greens. By Paula Wolfert.
Ina Garten's favorite cookbooks are:
1. Summer on a Plate. By Anna Pump.
2. Nantucket Open House Cookbook. By Sarah Leah Chase.
3. Cold Weather Cooking. By Sarah Leah Chase.
4. Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook. By Kathleen King.
5. Baking for Friends. By Kathleen King.
6. Plenty. By Yotam Ottolenghi.
7. Jerusalem. By Yotam Ottolenghi.
To locate books outside of our collection, go to the statewide catalog. You can request books via interlibrary loan
and the statewide catalog (iconn.org), if you are a Hamden resident.
See what is new in the 600's! We just updated our Lifestyles bookletter. This bookletter lists our brand new books in health, medicine, cooking, baking, etc. Click on the link to the online catalog for each title and you can place a hold, if a book is on order, in processing, or checked out. If the book happens to be checked in, you can call us at the info desk (203-287-2680) and we will put it aside for you. If you would like to receive this bookletter or others in your email every month, click on this link to subscribe.
Celebrate Food Day on October 24, 2012! Come and see our book display this month. We have selected books centered around healthy cooking and sustainable food. Find more reading suggestions here.
October is also Vegetarian Awareness Month.
Subscribe via e-mail to our LIFESTYLES bookletter for information on new cookbooks.