Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.
Teachers and the Library
- To use the Hamden Public Library, teachers who reside anywhere in Connecticut may present a valid library card from their hometown library. (Please bring identification for first-time registration if you have not previously used the Hamden Public Library system.)
- There is no limit on the number of items that may be borrowed from the library, although we do request that you limit the number of items borrowed on a particular topic or theme (i.e. holidays, etc.)
- All children’s books, audiobooks and most adult books (except for new titles) circulate for 28 days and may be renewed for an additional 28 days. You may renew books by phone or via our website as well as in person. Other materials, including music CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, magazines, etc.shorter loan periods and additional restrictions. Fines are charged on all materials that are returned late. Replacement costs are charged for lost or damaged items.
- Assignment alert forms are available from our public service desks so that teachers may communicate with the library about upcoming assignments for which students may come to the library. This communication allows teachers and library staff to work cooperatively so that students will be able to locate relevant materials with ease when they visit the library. This service may include putting materials aside on a special assignment shelf, distribution of topic-specific bibliographies and staff assistance for students and parents in finding and using reference and other specialized materials.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services are available to teachers who are Hamden residents. ILL allows us to obtain materials from other libraries. Inquire about ILL at the Information Desk.
- Class visits may be scheduled throughout the year to help familiarize your students with the library. Students may also obtain library cards in conjunction with class visits. (Please plan visits at least 4 weeks in advance.) Contact the Children’s Librarian at 203 230-3770 for further information and to schedule a class visits.
- Additionally, teachers may request help with special assignments or other special needs related to their classroom work. Please see the Children’s Librarian when requesting special accommodations.